HOW DO I KNOW IF A CHAPTER 13 IS THE BEST OPTION FOR ME?
There are various circumstances where filing a Chapter 13 may be the best option for you, including:
- If you have a large amount of nonexempt assets that you want to keep;
- If you are past due on your mortgage or car loan payments and you need time to catch up before foreclosure or repossession occurs;
- If the value of your real or personal property is such that you can eliminate or reduce secured debts against the property;
- If you have debt, such as certain tax obligations or student loans that cannot be discharged, you can include these debts in your Chapter 13 plan and pay them off over time; and/or,
- If you have a co‑debtor on a personal loan that you want to protect, you may be able to do so in a Chapter 13.
The most important thing to remember is that bankruptcy gives you an opportunity to start over and rebuild and, in this highly unusual period of time in American history, that is something that we all may need to consider. The team at Oppenheim Law are, of course, here to help you navigate these waters.
Oppenheim Law | Bankruptcy Attorneys
2500 Weston Rd #404
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33331